Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Birth Story...

My belly at 38 weeks. Getting ready to head to the hospital (WARNING: BARE BELLY BELOW!!) Sunday night (July 25th) we checked in to the hospital at 8 p.m. My parents went with us so they knew where to go the next morning. Jack stayed in the hospital with me.

By 10 p.m. they gave me a sleeping pill and a pill to soften my cervix and I was completely out of it by 10:01. Jack has some funny stories of things I was saying as I was slipping into unconsciousness.

Around 4 a.m. they started the Pitosin to induce labor.
My doctor came in around 7 a.m. and checked me out then broke my water...weirdest feeling. A warm gush of water. After that I started feeling my contractions more and more. The contractions that far were definitely bare-able, but I knew I'd eventually want an epidural. Even though the contractions I was feeling so far just felt like intense menstrual cramps, they were still uncomfortable.
I told the nurse I will definitely want an epidural eventually, but was okay for now. She said there were a ton of c-sections scheduled that day and if I decided I wanted one and the anestegiologist was in surgery, I might have to wait a while. So I decided I'd rather get one now, then wait till it's too late.

The epidural didn't hurt at all. I'm actually amazed at the entire labor process. For me (this time around) it was a breeze!

Long story short, my labor was not progressing as we'd hoped. Doctor came in around 3 p.m. and I was barely at 5 cm...more like 4. And she'd hoped I'd be at least 6 cm by then. And the baby's head hadn't really dropped far at all. So she started talking about my options. I asked her when would the decision to do a c-section be made? What had to happen for that? And she said she would feel comfortable doing a c-section then because it seemed like my labor progression was going backwards. So we decided to go ahead with the c-section thinking it would be a couple of hours before we could get in... well they squeezed us in at the 3:30 slot. My family was in the waiting room and Jack ran out to tell them what was going on. Then the doctor took Jack back to get suited up.
At 4:05 p.m....Sawyer was born!!
Sawyer Marie French 6 pounds 8 ounces 19 1/4 inches. Born on July 26, 2010 at 4:05 p.m.
The experience in surgery was so weird. It's so strange to be awake, and perfectly able to hear everything going on, but be cut wide open on a table with your feet and hands strapped down. Jack was right by my side and we were just talking like normal conversation. And then Dr. Staud said "Jack, do you have your camera ready???" and it was go-time. All I wanted was to hear her cry...and she did. As soon as the doctor pulled her out, she was crying. Best. Moment. Of. My. Life.

We are so grateful for my parents and Lauren that were there to share the experience with us. It was amazing.

I think this is my last post. I am probably not going to have much time now to keep up with this blog. But it was fun and hopefully kept my friends and family in the loop with my pregnancy.

No comments: