Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Worst. Week. Ever.

Here's a summary of my St. Louis trip (keep in mind Jack was in Dallas until the following Friday evening when he flew in to St. Louis...I stayed with my parents all week):
Friday ~ bloody nose incident at the airport BEFORE even getting to St. Louis. Friday night, bloody nose explosion in the middle of the night. Parents had to help me try to get it to stop with cut up tampons and toilet paper. After an hour, it finally stopped. Looked like we murdered someone in the bathroom. I lost at least 12 oz of blood.
Saturday ~ French Family Baby Shower!! Very fun and very nice. No nosebleeds. Will post pics after this post. Had dinner at my favorite pizza place with my BFF Saturday night. Then another nosebleed later that night...not as bad as the previous night.
Sunday ~ Friends Baby Shower!!! Soooo amazing and so perfect. Will post pics after this. Again, another blow out of the nose in the middle of the night. I managed to get it to stop and a few hours of sleep, then headed to the ER Monday morning.
Monday ~ ER all morning. Got right in to a room at St. Johns and saw a doctor right away. Doctor cauterized (burned) the blood vessel in my nose to get it to stop. He was not confident that it was going to hold... but they discharged me and I immediately got admitted to the Labor and Delivery floor for contractions. Almost passed out from losing so much blood and them drawing blood. They eventually sent me home because the contractions had lessened. Not a fun day. Luckily my parents were with me the whole time.
Tuesday ~ Exhausted from the drama from Monday but no nosebleed!! Went to see my cousin Lindsay's baby, Alayna Nicole.
Wednesday ~ went in to work (downtown St. Louis), and as I'm on the garage elevator.... I felt it. Nose started bleeding. It wasn't too bad though. I was really annoyed, but I stayed a couple more hours to get some work done, then headed back to my parents house. I literally put the car in park at my parents, and here comes a gusher! Blood all over the street. Dang it!!! My mom and I spent the evening in the ER again at St. John's. This time...it wasn't so pleasant. The ER doctor totally sucked and had no bedside manner. We waited FOREVER to be seen, the doctor literally shoved a balloon and packing up my nose which was close to the worst pain I've ever felt. I squeezed my mom's hand so hard her ring almost broke her finger. Oh the packing was horrible. It felt like the worst sinus headache you've ever had. I had to ask the doctor for the nurses from labor and delivery to come monitor the baby... seriously. I don't know why that wasn't something done automatically!!! Good thing they did because I was having contractions every 2 MINUTES!!! Yikes. Needless to say, upstairs I go after getting discharged from the ER with packing in my nose and a pump hanging out of it taped to my face.
Upstairs they monitored the baby for a few hours... my contractions didn't let up so they gave me a shot of Terbutaline to slow them down, then gave me some food to munch on and eventually discharged me around midnight. My cervix was completely closed so she told me to be on bed rest the next day and take it easy from now on. We're thinking the nose bleeds caused the contractions. But now I know exactly what the contractions feel like so I know when I'm having them, to slow down and drink a lot of water or Gatorade.
Thursday ~ took it easy on the couch. Couldn't stay awake for more than a couple of hours at a time because of the lack of sleep I was getting at night. And the pain from the packing.
Friday ~ Doctor appointment with the Ear, Nose, and throat specialist and THOUGHT I was getting the packing out...but no such luck :( He said it needs to stay in 4 - 5 days. It hadn't even been a full 48 hours yet. Keeping it in until Monday just wasn't an option. I had a bachelorette party Saturday night, a baby shower Sunday, and flying back to Texas on Monday. So the Doctor (Dr. Eisenbeis) said he would make a special trip in on Sunday morning to take it out in time for my shower. He was so nice and I was just thankful I didn't have to have it in for my shower... although I was bummed about missing my BFF's bachelorette.
Friday night my hubby arrived!!! I was feeling much better then as long as I kept Tylenol in me. He was able to see and play with the kiddos and we hung out with my family.
Saturday ~ Jack and dad went to our house in Richmond Heights that we own to get our stuff out and do some things to it to get it ready to sell. I relaxed at home with my mom and took lots of naps. Jack was able to hang out with his family later that afternoon and evening. I went to my BFF's house (tube in nose and all) for the bachelorette pre-party. I was a miserable sight, but I couldn't miss it all. I only stayed for an hour or so. I was soooooo sad I had to miss it. But there was no way I was going downtown to a club with a tube hanging out of my nose!!!
Sunday ~ Hooooorraaayyyy for getting the packing out. Jack took me to the doctor first thing in the morning and to my surprise, after all the stress and built up anxiety, it didn't even really hurt getting the packing out. I couldn't believe it. However, he did cauterize it again, and that hurt...but not as bad as the packing going in. I could breathe, I had no more pressure. YAY! I was able to attend my last family baby shower and it was wonderful. My sister did such an amazing job.
I am so thankful for my family! They are the best. My poor mom literally had to wait on me hand and foot because I was either bleeding profusely out of my nose or too miserable to move. She is the BEST!! My dad even hung out at the hospital with me like a trooper. I am so lucky to have such amazing parents. I'm so thankful I was in St. Louis and not on a business trip like I almost had to be. I can't imagine going through all of that alone. Jack sure did get off easy this time... haha! Next time maybe he will realize that wasn't your typical nosebleed. (just gotta give him grief for laughing at me that I'd never had a nose bleed before...but that's Jack. Nothing is a big deal until it's a big deal.) I must say, I think he was pretty worried about me after I started having contractions and got admitted to the labor and delivery floor.
I haven't had a nose bleed since Sunday...knock on wood. Been sleeping with my head elevated and finally got a decent sleep last night on our new king mattress! I'm still having contractions though, but not too regular so I'm just trying to take it easy. I go to the doctor tomorrow for my 3 hour diabetes test, since I failed the first one, and for my regular appointment. Curious to see what she says about all of this...
Oh Lord PLEASE let the next 10 weeks (or at least 6 weeks) go smoother!
I am now OFFICIALLY in my THIRD TRIMESTER and am 29 weeks pregnant. Can't believe Sunday I will be 30 weeks. Crazy!

No comments: