Tuesday, May 18, 2010

ER trip!!

Yesterday was adventurous. I've been having nosebleeds since last Sunday... and by nosebleeds, I mean gushing blood pouring out of my nose and down my throat. Disgusting. I had a humiliating experience at the airport Friday... as I was in the security line, I reached down to grab my bag and put it on the x-ray table and I could feel it starting. YIKES. I didn't have any tissue with me because, until then, I'd only gotten the nosebleeds at night. So I grabbed my nose, asked where the closest bathroom was (too far) and the TSA people got me some tissue. By the time I got through the metal detector, it was pretty much flowing. I sat there while the nice workers got all of my things and put my shoes on for me! How embarrassing. People kept coming up to me asking me if I was okay because EVERYONE that came through security could see me. It finally stopped bleeding after 15 minutes or so. Then it started again as I was walking down the ramp to the plane. So yes, I walked on the plane with tissue stuck up my nose. Awesome!
Friday night I had another gusher. Saturday night's wasn't too bad. Sunday nights was out of control!! I was staying at my parents house and we decided that I was just going to go the emergency room because this was not "normal" as my doctor said. I was able to sleep for a while then we headed to the ER around 7:30 Monday morning.
Everything was really fast at the ER. They got me right in and hooked my belly up to monitor the baby. The doctor was able to stop my nosebleed by cauterizing the vessel with aluminum nitrate. It wasn't fun, but at least it worked. But little did I know, I was having contractions! What I thought was just the baby trying to escape, was actually pretty good size contractions. They didn't hurt, just felt tightness in my belly. But the doctors didn't like it so they took me up to the maternity floor for more testing. Up there I only had 2 contractions in a matter of a couple hours so they said it was likely because I was dehydrated.
Summary ~ they sent me home with iron pills and nose drops and told me to drink a lot of water. My cervix wasn't dilated and everything else was fine. I'm just so glad they fixed my nosebleed. I finally got a good night sleep last night!! Today I'm taking it easy and drinking a lot of water!!!

On a lighter note, my cousin had her baby this morning!! Alayna Nicole Grygiel was born at 2:32 a.m. and was 8 lbs 9 oz. So excited I am in town and I get to go see her today!!!!!

1 comment:

Priscilla said...

That sounds really scary (and embarrassing at the airport!) Glad everything is ok now. :)