Thursday, June 3, 2010

Gestational Diabetes is a lot of work :(

I had my Diabetes class this morning... wow. This is a little overwhelming and going to be a LOT of work. I have a new found respect for those who have Type 1 diabetes (the kind that is not caused by lifestyle) and an unbelievable amount of questions for those that have Type 2 (caused by what they eat and being over-weight). The first thing the nurse says to me is "you've gained quite a lot of weight...I guess that's why you're here". Thanks! I've gained 27 pounds... I thought I was doing pretty good.
Basically I have to eat a balanced diet and count my carbs and proteins. The small amount of food I have to eat is crazy. But I have to eat 6 times a day. I also have to test my blood sugar 4 times a day. I am equipped with a finger pricker and monitor. I was pretty freaked out about pricking my finger, but it didn't hurt at all. So that's a little bit of good news.
I'm happy...well, willing...to do anything to make Baby French come out a healthy baby. I'm just feeling selfish and emotional right now because it's just ANOTHER thing I have on my to-do list before the baby gets here. And this one is a biggin!!!

No comments: